The project responds to the identified needs of vulnerable group of children and youth with disabilities (Development Startegy of Goražde town 2017-2026) – in the area of preschool and elementary education and support to the development of life skills in youth with disabilities. The project directly contributes to the fulfilment of Strategic goal 2 – Improved public services, increased social inclusiveness and developed network of service providers in public, private and civic sectors.
Improvement of educational and social services for children and youth with disabilities at the local level is to be supported by:
- Strengthening of support network and interconnecting the system institutions and civil society through the development of the Cooperation Map;
- Mentoring support to the association of persons with disabilities in the development of new services and advocacy skills;
- Development of professional competencies of preschool educators and teachers through training;
- Support to children with disabilities through individual rehabilitation services;
- Didactic material to enrich the work with children and youth with disabilities.
The benefits for the community
Empowered association, public institutions and multisector networking can further the establishment of services responsive to the needs of children and youth with disabilities in the area of education and social inclusiveness. Innovative didactic materials and professional equipment can enhance the development of speech and language skills of children, learning skills and creative expression and life skills development.
Involvement of children and youth with disabilities in the quality educational system and activities aimed at the development of life skills ensure the fulfilment of their rights as guaranteed by international conventions, cantonal laws, local strategies and action plans.
What to expect
The activities will lead to the following intended accomplishments:
- Created map of educational and social service providers’ cooperation for children and youth with disabilities in Goražde.
- Strengthened competencies of association of persons with disabilities for advocacy at the local level.
- Increased speech and language competencies of preschool and elementary school children with disabilities.
- Improved mathematical competencies of elementary school children with disabilities.
- Developed creative skills of youth with disabilities as a result of life-long learning.